Friday, July 8, 2011

Retro Con 2011 Day 1: TCH Lesson 28: Kids WB

*It's a beautiful breezy and sunny summer afternoon in New York City.Stefan the Cartoon Historian,Mina,Adult Gohan,and Sailor Moon are in front of MSG,where the Annual 'Retro Con',a convention for old school characters from all forms of entertainment and their fans. This convention is really loved by all fans of Old School Entertainment. And you can easily tell this because the place is pact,people are everywhere*

Welcome everyone,Welcome to Madison Square Garden where for 3 whole days will be housing the 2nd Annual Retro Con. Where Old School fans get to Meet and greet their childhood heroes...among other things. I'm Stefan the Cartoon Historian,and this is Mina,Gohan,and Sailor Moon.

Mina: I can't believe we missed the first Con last year.

I was too busy to go. that shouldn't matter,because we're here at the Con now.

Gohan: My Dad's here as well. Can't wait to see him.

Sailor Moon: There is just Soooo many things to do here in just 3 days. So much to do so little time.

She-Ra will be here on Sunday,maybe you can get an autograph?

Sailor Moon: Oh Yeah!

Mina: So Stefan,what's the plan?

Well,while you guys have your fun,I've got work. I'll be giving History Lessons infront of a Massive Audience at this Con. Tonight,I'll be Kids WB. Tomorrow I'll be teaching about ABC Kids,and on Sunday night,I'll wrap things up by teaching about Fox Kids.

Gohan: Cool. Will you be speaking on stage at a podium like all the other lecturers?

Yup in front of a wide audience..including some Cartoon and Anime Celebs. You'll be surprised how many Anime characters like the Cartoon Historian.

Mina: Ok,enough talk. Let's start this thing.

Sailor Moon: Yeah,let's go in and have some fun.

Sure why not,maybe I'll buys some things as well.

*Minutes Later,the Tetrad are inside the Con and it is Crouded.*

Damn. Lots of people.

Mina: Who knew that this convention was this popular.

Gohan: There must be 800,000 people here.

I have some time before my Lecture. What do you guys wanna do first? I'm open for suggetions.

Sailor Moon: Shopping and Lunch

Mina: Celeb Meet and Greet

Gohan: Tracking down my dad. He and Krillin are here. Vegeta and Bulma will be here on Sunday.

The featured Retro Movie: Ghostbusters 2 is gonna be starting in a half-hour,wanna go get some snacks at the snack bar and watch it?

Mina: Y'know I heard a rumor that Al Khan is here.

He probaly heard of my Saturday Morning Block Lessons and is here to protest and heckle me. He knows damn well that hes Organization,4Kids Entertainment destroyed Saturday Morning TV and I'll bet he'll try to discredit me and the facts.

Sailor Moon: 4Kids is Crap.

Gohan: Yeah,I mean look what they did to Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Mina: 4Kids Screws Kids

Ok,thats enough,It's very disrespectful to diss the dying.

Mina: guess your right. 4Kids is on it's last legs.

Ok,lets go get some snackage and see that movie.

Sailor Moon: Ya-Ta!!

*Soon after getting snacks the tetrad goes to see the movie. after the movie,the Tetrad goes get lunch at a nearby fast food place and then goes back to the convention to do some shopping. Sailor Moon bought some key chains,Gohan bought some comic books for Goten,Mina bought some retro Anime DVD's,and Stefan bought some old Sega Genesis games. The tetrad also each bought a tee-shirt*

I can't believe they were asking 15 bucks a piece for tee-shirts. Sailor Moon,could you and Gohan take these bags back to our Hotel Rooms? No sence carring them around all day.

Gohan: Sure

*Stefan and Mina give their shoping bags to Gohan and Sailor Moon*

Sailor Moon: We'll see you in a bit.

*Sailor Moon and Gohan leave with bags in hand*

Oh let me explain something We rented 2 hotel Rooms,one for Me and Gohan and one for Mina and Sailor Moon.

Mina: Getting those rooms wasn't easy,they were 2 of the 4 last available rooms. And we're staying a pretty big hotel. Anyway,Hey Stefan,lets go hunt down Celebs.

Sure,but only for a hour,I gotta prepare for tonights lesson.

*the 2 head into the main convention room and see it packed with people and celebs(both fictional and non-fictional) of the 70's,80's,and 90's.*

*at a booth,where Skeletor and Hordak are signing autographs*

We are here right now with the Retro He-Man Villains,Hordack and Skeletor.

Skeletor: Ah,the Famous Cartoon Historian. So I here you're gonna be teaching about the 3 Big Saturday Morning Blocks? Good,this generation needs a lesson on how Great Saturday Morning TV were. As much as I sympathize with 4Kids,I really don't like the current state of Saturday Mornings.

Hordack: Crappy,they are Crappy. I miss my Saturday Morning shows. I used to love watching Carmen Sandiego as well as Captain N: The Game Master.

Skeletor: I kinda liked watching Ninja Turtles. That Shredder was great. Oh,keep what we told you under your hat..or else!

Mina: You got it.

*15 minutes later,Gohan and Sailor Moon join up with Stefan and Mina,who are each holding autograph pics of various celebs*

Gohan: So did you guys see my dad?

Nope.

Gohan: *sighs* I guess I'll have to catch him later.

Sailor Moon: Hey,we ran into He-Man and Jaleel White at the hotel and I got their autographs. I put them in my room.

Mina: That's cool. Hey,we got autographs too. I got autograph pictures of Hordack and Skeletor(shows the pics),Jimmie "J.J." Walker (shows the pic).

Sailor Moon: Dy-No-Mite!

Mina: And Mr.T (shows pic).

Sailor Moon: Cool.

I got one of Chuck Norris,as well as Hordack and Skeletor.I may get more later,but right now I gotta get back to the hotel to prepare my Lesson.

Mina: This Early!?

Yeah,I'm gonna be preparing all 3,so tommorow,I can chillax at the Convention with you guys.

Gohan: Awesome,I'll help you out.

Great,let's go. Have fun girls.

Mina and Sailor Moon: We will.

*stefan and gohan leave*

*Hours later inside the convention auditorium,an announcer is at a podeum (with a mike on it) on stage infront of thousands of people..including celebs*

Announcer: I hope ya'll are having an Awesome time here at Retro Con 2011?

*audience cheers*

Announcer: Anyway,please Welcome,Stefan,the Cartoon Historian and his Assistant Mina.

*croud cheers as Stefan and Mina walk onstage and take the podeum. the announcer leaves*

Stefan: Thanks,everyone. Welcome to this Edition to The Cartoon Historian,tonight we will be talking about Kids WB.

*applause*

Kids' WB was a weekday afternoon and Saturday morning cartoon block broadcast on The WB Television Network. In September 2006, the block moved to The CW Television Network. The CW is the result of The WB's merger with UPN in 2006. Kids' WB shut down on May 17, 2008, and was sold to 4Kids Entertainment to form The CW4Kids.

*audience jeers*

Mina: Damn Right!!!

Kids' WB was re-launched as an online network on April 28, 2008, a few weeks before it was replaced by The CW4Kids. The network allows viewers to watch shows of Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera and DC Comics.

*cheers*

Kids' WB debuted on The WB on Saturday, September 9, 1995, airing on Saturday mornings from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and weekdays from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Mina: On September 7, 1996, the Saturday block was extended by a full hour, airing from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and weekdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Too cool.

On September 1, 1997, Kids' WB started airing weekday mornings at 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. in most markets. Some stations aired the weekday morning hour in conjunction with the weekday afternoon block, expanding it to three hours, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

In 1999, Kids' WB made a breakthrough when the English dub of the anime Pokémon by 4Kids Entertainment premiered. It was a big hit for its programming block,beating Fox Kids for a short while with its animated block backed by Warner Bros. In later years,other anime shows aired such as Cardcaptors,Yu-Gi-Oh!,Megaman NT Warrior,Viewtiful Joe,and Spider Riders.

Mina: In July of 2001, Kids' WB's afternoon lineup was rebranded "Toonami on Kids' WB" and was an extention of Cartoon Network's hit block.It even aired some of it's hit shows,like Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. However,Toonami on KidsWB didn't last very long...only though that summer.

On September 7, 2001, Kids' WB ditched thier weekday morning block and gave the slot to the local affiliates. On January 6, 2006, the weekday afternoon Kids' WB block was dropped "at the request of the local affiliates", replaced by Daytime WB.

*croud jeers*

I know,I know, But a result,the Saturday morning block was extended by an hour running from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m..

But now we get to one of the stupidest things The WB has done,take it Mina.

Mina: Yes. On January 24, 2006, The WB announced they would merge with UPN to form The CW Television Network. Even though the KidsWB name was kept,the block got a major change. As only 10% of the cartoons were from WB. while the rest were either Canadian garbage or Anime.

But the worst was yet to come. On October 2, 2007, the network announced that due to a joint decision between Warner Bros. and CBS,it would suspend the Kids' WB programming block due to the effects of children's advertising limits and cable competition. soon after the decision,theyh stupidly sold the block to 4Kids Entertainment. And on May 17, 2008,KidsWB was no more.

Mina: Holy Nightmare,Cartoon Historian! On May 24, 2008, 4Kids launched The CW4Kids in place of Kids' WB. The lineup for the block consisted of 4Kids produced shows such as Chaotic (a shitty canadian show which rips-off both yu-gi-oh! and digimon season 4) as well as seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

But,there is some good news,On April of 2008, Warner Bros. Entertainment announced that The Kids' WB brand would be relaunched as an online network.

*cheers*

Mina: Yes,so it's a lone survivor of 4Kraps Saturday Morning bastardization.

Well that's it for tonight. I'd like to thank you for joining me and hope you'll join me again tomorrow night when I talk about ABC Kids. Good night everyone and thanks Again.

Mina: Bye-Bye.

*the croud applauds as stefan and mina leve the stage*

*fades to black,credits roll*

1 comment:

Bountydog said...

Nice setting, now I want to go to RetroCon, just now! It's a really good idea, it opens to a lot of possibilities in narrate the events. LOTS of information in the lecture, absolutely helpful for a rookie like me, really interested in such facts. Great work, as alwasy! Looking forward to next episode!